Families displaced after lightning sparks apartment fire | News
(WMC-TV) - Officials believe lightning is responsible for a fire at the Bradford Parks Apartments Thursday night that left families displaced.
For Jeffrey Curry and his family, it will be a long road to recovery. He, his girlfriend and three-year-old son were in their upstairs apartment Thursday evening when lightning struck the building, causing it to go up in flames.
"They said, 'get out your apartment. Your apartment is on fire,'" said Curry. "When I looked out and saw the blaze, I ran back upstairs, got my girlfriend and baby. We ran outside."
The fire started around 7:30 p.m. in an eight-unit building at the Bradford Park Apartments. The building is a total loss.
"It's a first for me. I've never been involved in anything like a fire," said Curry. "My family's never been involved in a fire. It's a first to see all your assets just go up in flames and stuff like that."
Eight families are now staying at a local hotel. They will all have to find new homes.
"They put us up at the Comfort Inn and Suites," said Curry. "The Red Cross gave us a little money to buy groceries and stuff, t-shirts and stuff like that."
Residents said they were thankful there were no injuries or loss of life.
"I thank the property manager and people out here," said Curry. "They took care of us. They made sure everybody got out safely."
Copyright 2011 WMC-TV. All rights reserved.